Monday, March 19, 2012

Boulevard Amber Ale

(Boulevard Sampler Pack 4/6)

Review from THE NOTEBOOK, originally tasted February 25th, 2012.

Boulevard Amber Ale (Amber Ale)
Brewed By: Boulevard Brewing Company
Style: Amber Ale
ABV: 5.1%

What the brewer says...

"Boulevard Amber Ale is an exceptionally well-balanced beer, complex yet thirst-quenching. American pale malt provides a firm foundation. English specialty malts impart a nutty sweetness, perfectly complemented by noble German hops. The deep coppery color holds the light, reflecting a ruddy glow, and the finish is clean, round, and delicious."

What I say...

I'm a fairly big amber ale fan.  When I was still cutting my teeth on beer, brews such as Rickards Red and Keith's Amber Ale served as a gateway between fizzy yellow BMC's and delicious craft beer.  For that reason, amber ales are a style I often go to when I'm looking for something easy to drink at the end of a long day, and I was anxious to give Boulevard's take on the style a try.

Boulevard Amber Ale poured out nice and red, with nice fluffy white foam after a vigorous pour.  The head faded away quickly, and left no traces on the glass.  The aroma was fairly faint - some malts on the nose, and a hint of something fruity that reminded me of apples.

Carbonation was middle of the road and it came with a nice copper malt taste which lingered on my tongue for a few seconds after.  Slight taste of hops and apple on the end.

Appearance: 4/5
Aroma: 4/10
Taste: 6/10
Palate: 4/5

Overall: 14/20

I quite enjoyed this.  The aroma was faint, and the taste wasn't overly complex, but it was a nice take on an easy drinking style.  This would make a great beer for anyone who's a fan of red beers or is looking for something to enjoy on a quiet night.

View on Ratebeer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis